Highways England will begin the next phase on Monday, August 24, with closures in place until September 6.
The work is being untaken in a bid to improve journey times, reduce congestion and support local and strategic economic growth.
As reported Redbridge scheme comes after a six-month project to improve the nearby Millbrook Roundabout finished on April 7.
The scheme, set to cost between £8.5 million and £15.5 million, will add an extra lane to ease congestion for vehicles travelling from the motorway to the city centre and the port.
What closures will be in place?
- 24 hour closure – Monday, August 24 to Sunday, August 30: M271 southbound narrow lanes; A33 eastbound narrow lanes; Redbridge Roundabout inner ring closure; A33 slip road westbound exit lane closure.
- 8pm to 6am closure – Monday, August 24 to Thursday, August 27: Lane 1 closure M271 southbound; Full closure A33 eastbound entry slip road; Redbridge Roundabout outer ring closure; Lane 2 closure A33 eastbound exit slip road; Lane 2 closure A33 westbound exit slip road; M271 northbound Lane 1 closure.
- 24 hour closure – Monday, August 31 to Sunday, September 6: M271 southbound narrow lanes; A33 eastbound narrow lanes; Redbridge Roundabout inner ring closure; A33 slip road westbound exit lane closure.
- 8pm to 6am closure – Tuesday, September 1 to Friday, September 4: Full closure M271 southbound at Juncton 1 including Junction 1’s entry slip road; Full Closure northeast quadrant of Redbridge Roundabout; Lane 2 closure of A33 westbound exit slip road; Lane 1 closure M271 northbound.
What work is being done?
- Free-flow lanes are to be added from the M271 Southampton towards the port
- Shared paths to be improved
- A new footbridge will be installed
- Signals that give buses priority are to be removed
- Widening the Roundabout
- Hundreds of new shrubs and trees to be planted
- Roundabout to be resurfaced with new “low-noise” material
What’s already been done?
Teams have told the Daily Echo that following the last phase of works, this week they’ve been able to reopen the northern subway for pedestrians.
As well as this they’ve been working on the free flow lane into Southampton and various other pathways.